The New Neighbors is the January 2016 Winning Short Screenplay.
THE NEW NEIGHBORS
Written by L. Filippo Santaniello
Genres: Horror, Thriller
Three friends are screening and selecting short films for a low budget horror film festival when the babysitter from the floor below rings the bell. Something bad has happened and she needs help.
Get to know writer Filippo Santaniello:
- What is your screenplay about?
“The New Neighbors” is a story about three friends that work as short film selectors for a Horror Film Festival. Disappointed by the overall quality of the films they wonder why no one is creating something original. Right then the bell rings. The babysitter from downstairs appears at the threshold of the door. Does she need help or is she just hungry?
- Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I believe that the screenplay is well-structured and it can also be enjoyed by those that are not just horror film fans. And there is lots of blood!
- This story has a lot going for it. How would you describe this script in two words?
- What movie have you seen the most in your life?
I would say Daro Argento’s Profondo Rosso because I’m a huge lover of the horror movies produced in Italy between the ‘60s and ‘70s. There are no words to describe the works of authors such as Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, Joe D’Amato. As an Italian writer I feel very close to these authors but I’m also enthusiastic about international directors like David Lynch, David Cronemberg and John Carpenter.
- How long have you been working on this screenplay?
- How many stories have you written?
Quite a lot. Not only screenplays but also short stories and two novels.
- What motivated you to write this screenplay?
The fun for the macabre.
- What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I didn’t face any serious obstacles in writing this screenplay. It all went smoothly.
- Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Music. I listen to rock music all the time. And now that Lemmy and Bowie are out of the scene we are left without myths.
- What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I wanted to compete with other good international authors in order to expose my writing to markets outside of Italy.
I think feedback is important, it helps you grow. If everything went well we would remain the same without the possibility to improve.
- Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep on writing. Always. First and foremost for yourself. And have fun while doing it!